Entry Way Makeover [scandinavian inspired]

Yes, I went ahead and changed the look of my blog…again.  The look and feel of my blog as you see it today is how I always envisioned it, but could never squeeze enough time out of my life to dedicate to it.  While quarantined this weekend with a nasty head cold/flu [and slight hangover after a mom's night out...cough. cough] I got ‘er done.  I hope you enjoy it and would love to hear any comments, suggestions or technical issues [a programmer I am not].

I have been working feverishly [literally...this flu kicked my ass] on overhauling our entry way for the past month.  Why? You ask. Well, I gained an entirely new appreciation for modern, clean, fresh design that leans towards Scandinavian after our recent vacation to Germany.  My mother-in-law’s white, neutral decor and Scandinavian inspired design really rubbed off on me this trip.  So without a real plan sketched out I dove into the Scandinavian world and this is how our entry way turned out.inexpensive scandinavian entry way makeover

Here are a few pictures of what the entry way looked like just before this makeover in case you’re new here [or forgot]…entry waysitting prettytop shotAnd here is what my new and improved, Scandinavian inspired entry way looks like today
I kept the accessories pretty much the same.  I swapped out the white lamp shade for this black one I picked up at Target.  The white square one wound up in my son’s room atop a lamp I DIY’ed.  Tutorial coming soon.entry way makeover_going scandinavianI installed board+batten on the entry wall and painted it an eye-searing white.  I also added a shelf on top so I could rest my new Swiss cross art.scandinavian entry way makeoverour entry way gets a scandinavian makeoverI spray painted a blank art canvas black then made a white Swiss cross out of white duct tape.  The other canvas I left white and created another Swiss cross with black electrical tape.  Easy peasey.entry way gets a scandinavian inspired makeovermaking over the entry way in scandinavian styleI painted the entry wall a soft gray that you can hopefully see in the above picture.  The enormous branch I discovered during a recent hike that I lugged back to my car while receiving some rather odd expressions from passers-by.  Non-DIY’ers!  ; )  These silver heart ornaments were a purchase while in Germany.

Now for the best part [and a teaser].  I created these 3-dimensional picture frames from a very unconventional material.  I will give you the full tutorial this week, but in the meantime try to guess what they are made from.scandinavian inspired entry way makeover my entry way gets a scandinavian inspired makeoverI am planning to install a funky feature wall in the living room adjacent to the entry way.  The plan is in my head.  Your guess is as good as mine as to when it will become reality.  That’s the way I roll.inexpensive scandinavian entry way makeoversignature_hugs_amyI was featured on Remodelaholic  link-party-palooza-banner

23 Responses to Entry Way Makeover [scandinavian inspired]

1. Debra Boyer says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! Such clean, cool lines. Absolutely love this.

2. I love the refresh. That’s one of the things I love about traveling—how it affects and influences the way we live when we get back home. I’m totally thinking of a minimalist entry way, too. It kinda sets the tone for the rest of the house. Your new site looks great! Are you sure you’re not a programmer ; ]

3. Laura says:

Very nice! I love the results! The stick in the corner with the hearts adds a nice finishing touch. :)

4. Haley says:

Love the new look! One piece of small constructive criticism: I can’t read the words under ‘Amy Krist’ in the header. Maybe make the logo a little bigger, change the font, or just get rid of those words all together. Also, your social media icons are running off the page and being cut off.

I love the entry makeover. I like the look of the picture frame/art. I want to guess it’s made out of gerbil wheels or that orange construction netting.

5. Yes Scandinavian design is so inspiring. Love what you have done.

6. leelee says:

Love this Amy! It’s gorgeous and I love love the black and white! I also love the new look. Did you notice I keep tweaking mine? Lol…it’s still not where I want it to be so…let the “tweaking” begin!
    leelee@ paperbagstyling

7. Amy, this is so beautiful! I am loving all of the patterns and textures and I just wanna hang out in your entryway, haha. Thanks for sharing at The Makers! Pinned :)

8. Looks great, Amy! Thanks for sharing over at the Remodelaholics Anonymous party this weekend!

9. Extraordinary!!
    Amy…all the details are perfect from the new board and batten to the Swiss cross art to the simple change of the lampshade.
    You are my feature tomorrow night at Project Inspire{d}!! Thanks so much for sharing your makeover with us a Project Inspire{d}!!

10. Pingback: tutorial: how to make 3-D picture frames |

11. Pingback: A Sneak Peek! | Project Inspire{d} Link Party ~ Week 65 and features - An Extraordinary Day

12. Pingback: Project Inspire{d} #65 Link Party and Features | Cupcakes and Crinoline

13. Amy – found you via the VMG206 Brag About it party. I love what you’ve done with the entry way – the before and after. A norwegian myself, I have an appreciation for clean lines and the simplicity of scandinavian decor. I just completed and shared a Danish Modern credenza makeover on this week’s link party. Check it out. :)

14. Gwen says:

Hi Amy! I totally LOVE your Scandinavian Inspired Entryway, and I just wanted to let you know that I’m featuring it as one of the Rockstars for Creativity Unleashed Week 18. Grab your peeps and come vote for the MEGA Rockstar!!!

Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

15. jarrahjungle says:

Such a beautiful space and you would think that black and white would be a little cold (for lack of a better word!) but the wood and baskets make it look so warm and homely. Im off to snoop around the rest of your house now :)

16. Pingback: Thursday S.T.Y.L.E. Link Party # 19 - Well-Groomed Home

17. Pingback: Thursday STYLE #19

18. jocieopc says:

so pretty and creative! love the pix! Thanks so much for linking up last week on Creativity Unleashed. Featuring you tomorrow on the blog and hoping to see you back!

19. Gwen says:

Hey girl! I just wanted to let you know that you are the MEGA Rockstar from Creativity Unleashed Week 18! I’ll be sharing and pinning tons from your blog all day! Congratulations!!!

20. Pingback: The Rockstars of Creativity Unleashed Week 19 - The Bold Abode

21. Pingback: Thursday STYLE Link Party #20 - A Prudent Life

22. Pingback: Thursday S.T.Y.L.E. Link Party #19

Thank you for your comments!