- please step all over me [IKEA hack]
- my weekend [a room, a house and a pouch]
- DIY Word Fridge Magnets [aka "keeping the kids entertained"]
- DIY Faux Cowhide Rug [guest post]
- Ugly Desk Makeover
- Tutorial: DIY Pottery Barn Rustic Lantern
- DIY | pottery barn inspired rustic lantern
- diy: no-sew outdoor pillow case [using an old shower curtain]
CategoriesArtwork Christmas contact paper Craft projects Craigslist Dining Room DIY diy decor DIY projects drop cloth drapes Duck tape Family Room Favorite Things Free DIY funky projects Furniture Makeovers gold spray paint Guest Post IKEA kid's bathroom kid's craft project ideas Kids kids bedroom ideas Knock-offs Living Room looking glass spray paint Lucite Mini makeover Organization Outdoor paint projects Repurposing Room Tweaking Soup Cans stencil Trays Uncategorized Unique decorating ideas Upcycling Use What You Have Vacation Vintage Wood Projects wood working
blogs i enjoy
proud member of
Category Archives: diy decor
Happy day to you! I’m over at Homecoming today sharing how I made these easy no-sew [still refuse to use the sewing machine!] outdoor pillow cases. I guess you can classify this as another IKEA hack as they are made from an old IKEA shower curtain.
linking up to: Remodelaholic
I’m so excited to share this latest project with you! I’m sure at least 95% of you reading this have at least one plastic pot in or outside your home. I’m the queen of hoarding these. I have no clue why, because my preference is terra cotta. But who can resist the wallet-friendly price of plastic! Not this mama.
My latest DIY victim was our plastic pot holding my beloved fiddle leaf fig. I don’t have any glorious story of why I came up with this idea, other than I hated the way this pot looked+I had all the supplies on-hand and nicely hoarded away in the garage+I got a crazy hair you-know-where to give something in my house a makeover. Call it DIY-addiction!
- Mod Podge [matte finish|for all surfaces]
- Paint Brush
- Jute String
- Glue Gun
To start, cut your burlap to the length of your pot and add an extra 2″ [inches] to each end.
Next, paint on a coat of Mod Podge, working in sections.
Keep repeating this process until you have covered the entire pot.
Because my pot is curved, my burlap was not sticking to the bottom of it. So I painted a thin layer of Mod Podge around the base of my pot and applied a little pressure to get it to stick.
After the Mod Podge was dry [about one hour], I tied some jute string around the base of the pot.
My original idea was to tie the string around the base so my burlap pot would have a scrunched look to it, sort of resembling a bag. But, I had about 1/3 cup of Mod Podge left and decided to wrap the string around the entire pot instead.
So I wrapped my jute string around my pot in a crazy random way.
The last step is to glue down the top edge. I fired up my glue gun and then applied a line of hot glue inside the pot.
I pressed the burlap onto the glue with the tip of the glue gun, so I didn’t burn my fingers [I say that after burning my fingers countless times!]. A few seconds and it’s good. Once your top edge is glued down, you’re done! I love the way this turned out and love how custom it looks. It adds some nice texture to the dining room.
plastic pot [20"x20"]…$14.97
all-surface matte finish mod podge…$4.79
TOTAL COST: $28.83
Not too shabby for something that looks so sweet. I have plans to do this to a few other pots laying around.
I must admit that when I [completely unintentionally] left you hanging after last week’s post I wasn’t prepared for all the sweet comments and creative guesses that were headed my way.
I asked you in that post if you could figure out what these funky 3-D picture frames were made of. I loved all the guesses [they ranged from hamster wheels to metal garden fencing].
Well, are you ready to know?
These are made from vinyl gutter guards! Yep, nothing more than some vinyl strips you shove into your gutters to prevent them from getting clogged with leaves and debris. I stumbled upon these a couple weeks ago while hunting for a couple bricks to make my son’s dinosaur bookends. The modern design caught my eye and the price for a 3ft piece wasn’t even $2.00. I threw a few in my cart and brainstormed all the way home what I could make out of them.
After my recent entry way makeover I was in need of some modern, b+w art that didn’t over power the walls. I thought these gutter guards would make the perfect picture frames and here is how simple it is to make a few…
Now this part was the most challenging for me…choosing what pictures to use! I have thousands of pictures of my kids, dog, family, etc and deciding which ones to put up on the wall was crazy. I managed to grab a few favorites and made a b+w copy of each on our printer.
Now lay your b+w copy on a flat surface and lay your picture frame on top. Trace with a pencil around the outside of your frame then cut out the b+w picture.
I chose to paint a few frames black and repeated all the above steps.
I have to admit that I’m pretty much over the whole gallery wall thing, but I love the way this one turned out. It’s a modern, Scandinavian look that I just adore [right now]. I feel I should always say that since I change taste so rapidly.